Friday, December 14, 2012

Blessed

A couple of nights ago, during bedtime prayers, we talked about how God doesn't always give us what we want, but He gives us what we need. Joe explained to Olivia that he was thankful that God gave him each person in this family and that God knew better than he did what he needed to be happy.

Now that we've come down from the November madness and the Christmas gifts are bought/wrapped/hidden and the house is decorated and (finally) relatively clean, I have had time to sit and just enjoy my kids. I'm taking time to appreciate the blessings that I have.

I've discussed Olivia's gifts and talents at length here for years now. The kid is beautiful, energetic, and amazingly gifted. Lately, she has been enlightening us with her many observations. She doesn't miss a thing.

Martin is the easiest baby I have ever met. He sleeps well, he doesn't fuss much, and he mostly just likes to smile a lot. And squeal. And laugh at himself for squealing. I mean, he's just a little bundle of delightfulness. He loves to be held, of course, and sometimes he'll be sitting on my lap and then he'll just tilt his head back to look up at me and watch me. Just...watch. And then I look down at him and he gives me this huge grin.

It doesn't get much better than that, folks.

Oh, but then it does. Like when he's being cradled, sucking his fingers, trying to fall asleep. And then he pulls his hand out of his mouth. He reaches up to touch my face and he studies me. And then he gives me that look like I am the single most important and adored person in his little world.

His sister is good at making him laugh. He adores her too.

We are blessed. These kids, this life. It is more than I would have expected and better than I could have imagined. This season, I am so thankful for our little family.

I started this post yesterday, before this happened. And then I wasn't sure how to finish it, because how can you even see through the enormity of evil that is flashing across our media screens today? I will pray for these families. I will probably think of them often in the coming weeks. But I will also hug and kiss my babies and not allow the news to destroy my joy. That joy is a gift, and I will not allow evil to destroy it.

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle...


1 comment:

All in His Perfect Timing said...

How sweet your kids are. So thankful you and I are blessed. I just cannot believe the shooting. So terrible.