Monday, August 23, 2010

By this time next week...

...I will just be coming out of surgery. I think. That makes my head hurt.

None of the unknown aspects of surgery are freaking me out at all. Just the known one. I hate the I-V catheter in my hand. Hate it. And I have a sneaky suspicion that I will have to live with that thing in my hand for the duration of my stay in the hospital. Which is 2-3 days. And let me just say...last time? When the I-V was removed around 3 p.m. on the SAME DAY AS SURGERY? I HATED THAT. So I'm fretting over whether they'll leave the stupid thing in for days, until I'm released. Which, I imagine, they probably will. And my hand already hurts just thinking about it!

We haven't yet explained to Olivia that she'll be staying for a long, long time with Grammy & Grampy. She knows that she has a camping trip coming up with Grandma and Grandpa (over Labor Day weekend). And she's excited about that. She's done it before. It's a few days, and there will be lots of cousins around to distract her sufficiently. But she doesn't know that she'll be coming from Grammy & Grampy's and returning to them after the camping is over. She LOVES Grammy & Grampy. But she's never spent the night at their house. Not to mention two weeks worth of nights. Gah!

She also doesn't know that Mommy will be in the hospital...a place reserved, in her mind, for car accident victims. (Nothing like scaring your child into keeping her seat belt buckled.) Not really sure how she's going to react to THAT news.

Just how much do you tell a not-yet-three-year-old?

No comments: