Monday, April 30, 2007

Clomid so far

Today is my 4th day of Clomid, 25 mg (really low dose). Tomorrow is my last dose this cycle. So far so good. I didn't have any spotting (as is my norm) after my period. Weird. And, my second and third day of Clomid also saw a good production of CM. Definitely weird.

For those of you who are new to the fertility/infertility discussion world, let me explain a few things. First, CM is a common abbreviation for "cervical mucus", the oh-so-pleasant topic of conversation among FertilityCare teachers and users everywhere. It's also a frequent topic on infertility blogs, because as all infertility patients have learned, that weird CM discharge that we have every month is produced in response to approaching ovulation (or ovarian activity, at least) and plays an important part in fertility. CM is the transportation medium for sperm, so no CM, no pregnancy. Get it? Good.

The next important thing to know is that Clomid, for all it's wonderful ovulation-inducing potential, has a rather inconvenient side effect in many women. It can decrease the quality/quantity of CM, thus inhibiting the fertility it is supposed to enhance. This is why most physicians worth their salary will proscribe some sort of CM-enhancing agent to work along with Clomid. For me, that was a combo of large doses of Vitamin B-6 and Mucinex for several days after finishing Clomid.

Armed with all of this knowledge and written instructions on when to take my CM enhancers, I fully expected not to see any CM, at least until the Clomid doses were over. But wonder of wonders, the CM showed up at it's regular time (for me, always early...starting around day 6 or 7 of my cycle). And in abundance. I'm not sure how to interpret this information. Is the Clomid working, or is the dose too low to be effective? I guess we'll find out when we see what happens in the back end of my cycle.

No comments: