Friday, April 29, 2011

The royals

I have the royal wedding on DVR. My husband said, "Why do you care?" I said, "It's history, and having it on DVR means I can watch the actual wedding stuff and skip all the crap where reporters are watching the parade and making irritatingly stupid comments." Because that's pretty much all the reporters do. It would have been more fun to watch c-span-like coverage where you see everything but no one comments on anything.

Anyway, by the time we woke up this morning, they were parading around in a carriage and all there was to hear on any channel was reporters making stupid comments. So, this is on while I'm getting dressed, and I hear a reporter say something like, "As future heir to the throne, it is William's duty to marry and produce an heir." And my first thought was, "Gee, I hope they aren't infertile." Actually, that was my second thought. My first thought was, "Duh. Way to make the whole wedding sound completely unromantic by stating an obvious, yet unnecessary, fact."

(And yes, I know there are rumors that she's already pregnant, but I won't actually believe that until the Crown releases a statement to that effect. They have enough people speculating about their lives as it is.)

I wondered how that infertility scenario would play out. I know Angelina Jolie can adopt a dozen kids from wherever she wants because, you know, she's got the resources to do that. And yes, those kids become heirs to her estate, etc. But can you adopt an heir to a THRONE? I'm thinking, probably not.

It must suck to be royal. Like being an animal in a very large, very extravagant zoo. Lots of wealth and resources, but still caged in with the whole world watching your every move.

No comments: