Saturday, February 2, 2008

I finally have a use for that big blue bulb...

The aspirator, that is. The baby has a big nasty cold, which currently means a teeny little baby cough and a lot of congestion. Yuck.

We set up a humidifier in her room yesterday and put her to sleep in her carseat so she'd be somewhat upright-reclined. And you know what? She slept like a dream! Ten hours last night. And she woke up smiling and went down easily today for long naps (in the carseat). I know...moms everywhere are jealous of my amazing sleeping baby. But don't be too jealous...just a couple of days ago she decided that 40 minutes would be the maximum nap duration, and then she woke up at 3:30 a.m. for the first time in weeks. I think the sleep disturbance (and extreme fussiness that day) was just the first symptom of the onset of her nasty cold, and now that she's into full-on-congestion, she'd just rather sleep lots and let her immune system tackle that evil virus. That's my girl! Go sleep!

I'm glad she's able to sleep and is feeling relatively well, despite her snotty head. I've heard all the horror stories about babies and winter and viruses and RSV. We are watching her closely for signs of things like that. But for now, my biggest concern is her frustration with all the snottiness. She'll be snorting and coughing and looking at me like, "Mom, what is this stuff in my head? Because it's not any fun and I want you to take it away so we can get back to the fun!" Poor little thing.

No comments: