Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A rather awful week

So, my husband occasionally has to travel for his job. We were lucky enough that he had no long trips for the first 6.5 months of Olivia's life, and he has only had two overnight trips so far.

However, it couldn't last forever, and Saturday he left on a five-day business trip.

He was supposed to be back Wednesday. However, life sort of fell apart on us in the last few days. His ear was hurting on Saturday before he flew out. And then I guess the plane really screwed things up. After a trip to an urgent care center and then to the ER the next day, he discovered that he has a very nasty ear infection and was told not to fly. And he's 10 hours away by car.

Luckily, a friend there has offered to drive him part of the way home, but I still have a seven-hour trip ahead of me tomorrow. And we'll be stopping at a hotel on the way home, so we won't return until Thursday.

Olivia will be spending the night with her aunt, uncle and cousin. I'm thankful that they were able to take her on short notice.

So, I'm a little frustrated. Not with my husband, but with the situation. Between gasoline and the hotel, this will not be an inexpensive trip. And I wasn't exactly budgeting for it, so our budget is pretty much screwed.

However, I am really looking forward to having him home again. I had underestimated how difficult it would be to be at home with Olivia by myself for five consecutive days. I'm not really sure how single moms do it. It gives me a whole new respect for those who can.

1 comment:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Oh, heavens, what a week! That is very frustrating! I hope you get a lovely, relaxing weekend this week to make up for this.