Monday, December 22, 2008

Living with the chaos

It occurred to me today that nothing about my house appears organized, at least to the untrained eye. Yet my husband can ask me where he left the remote, and I can remember the exact location I last saw it. So yes, there is some sense of order here.

I can remember a time when I used to round up all the toys at the end of the day and put them in the toybox. Now, the toys that are in the general vicinity of the toybox get put away. The rest get gathered up into little toy piles all over the house and shoved against the wall or in a corner. The key now is that we keep the walking path clear so no one steps on anything in the dark and breaks an ankle.

I now have a very high tolerance for clothes randomly lying around the house. Olivia has access to her sock drawer, and she loves to drag socks and shoes all over the house. I have been known to leave a stray sock lying on the floor for days on end. This is not something that I would have tolerated pre-Olivia.

I have also developed an incredible knack for cleaning up the house in mere minutes when I hear that someone is coming over. Most of the "clutter" ends up stored in a random drawer somewhere, but at least the house appears to be in order when the guest arrives!

Olivia has entered the snotty-and-miserable stage of her cold. There was a lot of whining and sniffing today. I'm exhausted. So is she. I think I'll go to bed now.

No comments: