Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A whole week of partying and we're still not finished

It all started with Christmas Eve, which was very close to being the perfect day as far as Olivia was concerned. She had fun, she behaved, she didn't melt down. It was great.

On Christmas Eve, we took our annual trip to this nearby-ish town where they have two very historic and recently-renovated hotels. We went with Grampy, Aunt Paula and Cousins Alex and Chris, and we saw the grand decorations at both hotels, had some lunch, and even did a little bowling. The surprising thing, though, was how well-behaved Olivia was. She usually naps at noon, and we didn't have lunch until 12:30. We ate at a nice, sit-down style restaurant, and she sat nicely and colored and then ate A LOT of her entree (chicken fingers and fries) and never once complained or whined or made a scene. After that, we spent another couple of hours touring around before heading back to Grammy & Grampy's house (1.5 hour drive) for dinner and gifts, and she did so well! She cashed out pretty quickly once we hit the road, which provided just enough nap to be well behaved for the rest of the evening. When we got in the car to go home that night, Olivia looked at me and said, "Mommy, I had a really nice day!" Yes, she really did.

Christmas Day we went to Mass and then back to Grammy & Grampy's for more food and visiting. And again on the day after Christmas. Then, also on the 26th was Cousin Carter's baptism at the evening Mass, so we trekked BACK home again for Mass and more food/partying, only this time with small cousins.

The 27th was Christmas at my parents house. Lots of little cousins, noise, presents, food. More visiting and food and cousins at my parents' house again on Monday and Tuesday before five of the little cousins and their parents left for home. Then we had the remaining family over for dinner last night at our house.

This morning, Olivia and I took down our Christmas decorations. At 10:45, I caught her sitting on the couch with blankie and paci and staring into space, and I think she might have fallen asleep sitting there if I hadn't snatched her up for lunch. She was asleep by 11:30.

Six days of partying, playing with cousins, eating lots, and being WAY off the nap schedule has been exhausting for all of us. And we still have two more extended-family parties on Saturday and Sunday of this week.

I agree with Olivia. "I had a really nice day." Several times over. And although we're all pretty wiped out here, it's something we look forward to and enjoy every year. I have a feeling, though, that come next week, we are all going to be suffering from a severe sugar withdrawal.

No comments: