Tuesday, January 18, 2011

'Till the cows come home...

I think I may have mentioned a new diet that my doctor recommended to keep the endometriosis at bay while we try to conceive. The last few weeks I have slowly implemented some of the recommendations...more veggies and grains, fewer sweets. But I was a little confused on the guidelines and what was expected. So I called and asked the nurse.

I am making good changes, but it is not enough. The most important dietary change I need to make is to give up dairy.

DAIRY IS MY LIFE.

No. I'm serious. Dairy is my life. I grew up on a dairy farm. My Dad milked cows twice a day, every day, for 27 years. I drank the stuff raw, shaking it up before pouring to mix in the cream that had settled at top. I LOVE MILK. I still drink at least three cups a day, and usually more. It is my comfort food. Milk with meals. Milk with snacks. CHEESE. Oh, dear heavens...the cheese!

But, as it turns out, endometriosis is an inflammatory disease that flares up with increases in estrogen. And, it seems that milk is the leading dietary estrogen source. Milk. My beloved milk.

So. It looks like I will be milk free for the next couple of years, unless we get pregnant before then (please God!). I have to learn all about other dietary sources of calcium and such.

I am SO not ready for this!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Well this was a well-time post. I found out this morning I need to give up dairy, too, to see if it makes a difference for the baby. I'm supposed to get somewhere around 2700 calories a day, and I have NO idea how I"m supposed to do that if I cut out milk. I drink 3 glasses of milk a day, too, and eat yogurt/ cheese for a snack at least once a day (usually more). I love dairy ... and I'm allergic to soy, so I can't even substitute.

I feel your pain.