Thursday, February 21, 2013

Different

This week, I finally removed the "bassinet" attachment from Martin's pack-n-play. (Yes, he sleeps in a pack-n-play. More on that later). And it occurred to me that we would NEVER have made it this long with Olivia in a bassinet attachment. In fact, Martin turns 7 months old this weekend, and by the time Olivia was that age, we had moved her crib down to the very lowest level. Here's photographic evidence.
Olivia, at age 7 months and 4 days. I think this is the first time I caught her standing in the crib.
When Martin was born, we thought we'd just stick with the three pack-n-plays that we own and not get a crib. We had given away Olivia's crib (which has since been recalled anyway), and pack-n-plays are portable, safe, and we already had three.

Also, Olivia started climbing out of her crib at something like 16 months, which was when we moved her to a regular bed, so we were anticipating more of the same.

Of course, that was silly. Kids are different. Martin and Olivia are VERY different. At almost 7 months, Martin is content to sit on the floor and play with a bottle cap while I type this post.

What? I'm playing here.
He barely scoots, rarely rolls, and doesn't try to climb up on anything at all, ever. And I'm perfectly content with that! I can walk away and he'll be in the same place when I get back. I don't have to worry (yet) about the seventy-frillion tiny legos finding their way down baby's throat. Yes, I am enjoying my immobile baby. I'm just blown away by the differences between these two kids.

Olivia - 7 months 9 days, crawling

Olivia, 7 months old, climbing on bleachers and laughing.


Martin, turns 7 months on Saturday, sitting in one spot and laughing!
Well, one thing is certain. They both have beautiful 7-month-old smiles!

All of this is to say that it looks like Martin would get more use out of a crib than Olivia ever did. So we are getting one today (actually, borrowing one from Grandma). I think he'll be happy with it, but I'm OK if it takes him awhile longer to start standing in it. I want to enjoy my baby as long as I can.

1 comment:

All in His Perfect Timing said...

Ahhh, yes ... BIG differences in your kiddos! :-) Luke has been more like Olivia in regards to mobility.
And they both have SUPER CUTE 7 month smiles! ;)