Thursday, May 24, 2007

Feeling optimistic

Today is day 2 of my cycle (yes, I had a LONG post-peak phase, but ultimately, I did NOT get pregnant last cycle). For many months, these first couple of days fo the cycle were the worst for me, emotionally. Now that we have a treatment plan with the Clomid (which should progressively help my ovulation get better), it's actually an optimistic time for me. I can look forward to seeing how this cycle progresses and knowing that I have an opportunity to conceive. It's the last week or so of the cycle that's harder now...the waiting...

It always strikes me at this point in my cycle how weird it is that I actually have (or had) endometriosis. I NEVER suspected it before meeting Dr. D. I just didn't have any of the classic symptoms, or so I thought. All the people I'd ever met with endometriosis had these constant bouts with pain.

Now, I wasn't totally pain-free, but my pain always coincided with the start of my period and usually only lasted about 24-36 hours total. Mostly, it is easily managed with Aleve.

But now when I look back, I can see that there were times in my life (college, mostly) when that pain was nearly unmanageable. Sure, it only lasted a day or two, but I remember some very specific instances in college where I spent hours at a time curled up in a ball crying from the pain. And that was after taking 3 pamprin at a time. That medication just made me loopy and didn't help the cramps all that much. I like the aleve much better. Some cycles, I only need one for about 8 hours. Maybe most of my endo lesions (the old ones) were from those college days.

Even so, though, I have almost no other pain throughout my cycle. I guess it just happens that way in some women. Guess I should consider myself one of the lucky ones. Would have been luckier if I never had it at all. But count your blessings, right?

No comments: