Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fortunate

Olivia and I went to the waterpark this morning for some wear-the-kid-out-before-nap time. We stopped for a little lunch at one of the park's food stands. As we sat and ate, I noticed an elderly man dressed in a park uniform cleaning tables and sweeping up the area. He shuffled around slowly, as if the heat and the job were taking most of his energy. He looked to be in his 70s, at least...the kind of person who should be enjoying retirement, not bussing tables.

He may have been one of those retirement-age people who get these seasonal jobs to keep busy and have a little extra spending cash. But from his shuffle and from his face, I got the very sad impression that he was there out of necessity.

As I watched this man diligently doing his job in the 90 degree heat, I thought about how fortunate we are. We don't make a lot of money, but we don't have a lot of debt, either. We have some reserves. We are able to save and prioritize and live pretty comfortably.

I will say a prayer today for people like this man. His suffering touches my heart and makes me want to do something more.

No comments: