Monday, November 5, 2007

Just to bring me back down to earth...

Got the "engagement letter" from the birthmother's lawyer today. Paperwork is, by far, the scariest thing about our adoption process so far. Not that we didn't know what we have read in the letter (our lawyer went through all of this on the phone), but when you write it down on paper, it makes everything look so scary. Like where it says that this is no guarantee that things will go according to plan, but you are still liable for every dime we spend in postage or mileage or phone calls, plus the heavy lawyer fees you have agreed to, and if it all falls through we will take all your money anyway and leave you to your childless misery. Or something like that.

It's times like these that I keep reminding myself that everything is going quite well and the lawyers just put these things in writing so that all the legal liabilities and such are addressed and there is no misunderstanding in the case of disaster. But still. I DON'T NEED AN EXCUSE TO WORRY, PEOPLE.

I feel unusually bloggy today. I think it's NaBloPoMo fever. I'm not an officially participating member, but so many of my favorite bloggers are that I've been inspired to write more often. It will be a nice way to compile my thoughts and feelings through this whole process, which can later be put into print for baby's memory book. Or it could be the fact that I realize that I'm going to be leaving work soon and will need a reason to get on the computer and stay connected with the world.

1 comment:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I always like to read new posts, so blog a lot!

I've never adopted, but the chance of it falling through sounds just terrifying. It sounds like your birthmother is as sure as she can be, though, so try not to worry too much. And good luck! Keep up with the updates.