Thursday, November 8, 2007

Tagged...

I've been tagged. I've never been tagged before. This is probably because until very recently I was my only reader. So it feels nice to know that someone else is out there following my rantings and actually thought I was worthy of tagging. So thanks to Jen for that!

Rules: Once tagged, your supposed to link to the person who tagged you (which I did, although I'm not sure how much exposure it will bring her since I'm the least popular blog on the internet!). Then, post the rules before your list (you're reading 'em) and list 8 random things about yourself. At the end of the post, tag and link to 8 other people and them leave them a comment telling them they've been tagged.

I think this is the modern day version of a chain letter, only more fun because if any of the tag-ees choose not to participate, they won't have to be constantly worried about bad luck being heaped upon their head. No pressure, baby. Plus, there's no postage.

So here goes:

1. I'm a recovering control freak. Recovering because infertility and then our adoption process has completely whipped any illusion of being in control right out of me. I'm much calmer now...more focused and ready to wait for things. Not always happy about it, but at peace most of the time.

2. I'm devoutly Catholic. I see in my faith a depth of truth and beauty that I just don't find anywhere else. It informs my whole life.

3. I have always wanted to adopt. Even when I was little, I had a desire to give a home to children who weren't as fortunate as I was growing up. I always thought that adoption would be a part of my family building, but I sort of figured it would come after a few pregnancies. Now I'm glad it's our first (and maybe future) way of building a family because life probably would have gotten in the way later if we weren't intentional about adoption.

4. I am the oldest of five siblings. My Dad is somewhere in the middle of twelve. My Mom is somewhere in the middle of eight. You can imagine that this adds up to a pretty whopping huge family. Last count, I had somewhere around 53 first cousins. Now a bunch of my cousins are having kids, and I honestly can't tell you how many of those there are. Family gatherings are, as my husband says, like watching a 12-car pile-up happen. Lots of chaos everywhere, but it's happy chaos.

5. I grew up on a dairy farm. My Dad sold the cows and got out of the business earlier this year, after 27 years as a dairy farmer. He's much happier now because he has a 9-5 type job and can actually take vacations and visit grandkids on the weekend. But I must admit that it made me very, very sad to watch all of those cows being hauled away to new farms on trailers. This was my entire life growing up, and I'm sad that my kids won't get to experience that.

6. I would not allow my Mom to throw me a bridal shower when we were engaged. We knew that there would be massive numbers of people at the wedding and didn't have much that we felt we needed on our registry, so we wanted to save that for wedding guests. Plus, I hate bridal showers. Hate. Them. But now I regret that a little. Only because she really enjoys throwing parties like that.

7. I want to go back to school to get my masters, but I'm afraid that I won't like studying and writing papers. Seriously, that's what's holding me back. I'm only thinking a class or two at a time, but it still kind of freaks me out.

8. I have twin nephews, and they are the only twins in our massive family. And they were spontaneous...no ovulatory stimulation or fertility drugs of any kind. How about that!

OK, I made it! Whew, that was harder than I thought. Now I'm going to tag Arwen, Maggie, and Louise. Forget the 8 people thing...I don't even think I have 8 readers total. Plus, there is no threat of evil luck being heaped upon my head, so whatever!

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I had never been tagged before either. And I was my only reader for a long time too.

I hated chain letters. I used to get them ALL the time because I lived in England and everyone wanted to be the one to send them to a foreign country. At one point, I had gotten the same chain letter nine times. That's why I like this way of tagging better!

Anonymous said...

I was my only reader for, um, YEARS.

And ooh! I am the oldest of five children! Ooh! Ooh!