Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Our anniversary

Today is our third wedding anniversary. Because of the circumstances, this anniversary has put me in a reflective mood. I am thankful for the time we have been able to spend together as "just us", but I'm looking forward to "us + one". I also have some remorse for all the time I wasted feeling sorry for myself during the dark infertility days. Not that we've given up on fertility (because we haven't), but I have a different perspective on it now that I'm anticipating becoming a mom by adoption.

*Sigh*

We are going out to dinner tonight, and I'm hoping that we can find something to talk about besides the baby. It's really starting to stress me out. Actually, my husband is the one stressing me out. His current crisis is worrying that we'll be personally responsible for the baby's medical bills because he's afraid that insurance will contest them. Placement is not technically granted in this case until four days after birth, so he has a valid concern. But I really don't want to hear about it. I want to be all sunshine and flowers and worry about evil things like medical bills and doubling legal costs AFTER we are home basking in the glow of new parenthood. Is that too much to ask?

Work has me concerned today. I just don't know if everything is going to get done by the end of the week. But then, if it doesn't, the world won't fall apart. So let's just sit down and realize that we are not the center of the universe, shall we?

I must return to my list of tasks so that my little corner of the universe, at least, can continue running smoothly in my absence.

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Happy Anniversary! I love going out to dinner.

Can you call your insurance company anonymously and ask them about the baby's medical bills on a hypothetical basis? I made a few calls like that when my husband first was diagnosed with diabetes and I was worried about costs. I was afraid that any real information might flag our account, but I needed the answers to my questions, so I just asked them about their policies. (And I then wrote down the name and ID number of the person who assured me that we would be covered.)

GLouise said...

Did you figure out any other details about the medical stuff? Your attorney or agency should be able to answer those type of questions.

As I think about it some more, usually the adoptive parents do have to sign some paperwork saying that they will cover any of the baby's medical costs NOT covered by the birth parent's insurance or medicaid.