Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Death and family

It's funny how things like birth and death bring a family together. Of course, with my family, all it takes to have a large get-together is someone announcing that he/she is coming to town, and with a day's notice we can get at least 15 people to show up for dinner.

But yesterday's visitation for my Grandpa was a little different because the WHOLE family (nearly) was there, including a few cousins that I haven't seen in at least five years (rare for my family). My Grandparents had 12 children, 29 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren. All but a handful of the grandchildren have shown up so far.

A funeral visitation always brings out friends and neighbors you haven't seen in awhile too. We had the visitation in the Church instead of a funeral home, so everyone was able to spread out. By the end of the day, we were definitely thankful for that. The place was packed.

We will bury Grandpa today.

Saints of God, come to his aid. Come to meet him, angels of the Lord.
Receive his soul and present him to God the Most High.

1 comment:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I have a tiny family spread all over the country. For my grandfather's funeral, we had six family members. (My mom, my dad, my aunt, my uncle, my cousin, and me. My sister and my other cousin couldn't come.)

I'll be thinking of you today.