Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The cloudy day with silver linings attached.

Today was a long day. I had a meeting to attend, so I took the opportunity, while we were "in town", to cross a bunch of things off the homestudy checklist. Olivia and I went to the copy center to have our profile book copied, laminated and bound. We also stopped several places to get signatures for this and that. We are now finished with all paperwork that requires someone else's signature, and Olivia and I are both pretty exhausted. If we ever do this homestudy thing again, I'm definitely going to have to get a sitter while I go chasing down documents and signatures. My left arm is a bit sore from holding and restraining a squirmy 26 lb. toddler so that she wouldn't scatter colored paper all over the copy center floor.

Sheesh.

Also in the "I need a babysitter" category, Olivia came to my meeting with me. It was a meeting of a subcommittee for an organization whose board I sit on. There was cake for someone's birthday, so that kept Olivia occupied for about half the meeting, and then she proceeded to run around throwing pens on the floor and shouting at people around the table and trying to take stuff out of everyone's purse. It was probably pretty comical for everyone in the room who isn't her mother. Next month...getting a babysitter or skipping the meeting. The shouting is only cute for about two minutes. After that, it's just annoying.

Olivia only napped for spurts in the car, so she was pretty grumpy by the time we finally got home. I managed to get her to stop whining, but then she just started pulling things off the counter and throwing toys around. Early dinner and early bath were accomplished, and I planned for an early bedtime...maybe around 6:30.

At 6:05, Olivia looked at me and started saying, "Night-night" and walking toward her room, looking back at me after every few steps. It took me a minute to figure out what she was saying, but how sweet is it that I have a child who knows she's tired and tells me when she's ready for bed?

In other news, Olivia has a couple more days of antibiotics, and I think she will be sad to be finished. She apparently loves the chalky, bubble gum-flavored concoction because every time we say "medicine", she comes running to suck the pink stuff right out of the medicine syringe. No complaints at all...well, unless you count the times she's complained because she thinks she wants more. But I'll take that over having her spit medicine all over the place any day.

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

It is wonderful that she put herself to bed! She is such a smart girl.

Stephanie said...

One of our worst in-public experiences was in a copy shop. When Asher was about Olivia's age, he BIT me (hard enough to leave a bruise), then looked up and SMILED. That was when I realized I needed a plan on how to handle behavior in public.

At Christmas last year, Asher was about Olivia's age. I was putting off his nap because our company was about to leave, and he started saying, "night night please?" and trying to climb IN his bed. It was so cute.

I totally understand about realizing all at once it's time to find a sitter. It kind of sneaks up on you, doesn't it?