Tuesday, June 2, 2009

On Hair

I spent most of naptime yesterday (which ended up being almost three hours long...thank you nap fairies!) working on the baby's room, and I was quite impressed with how it turned out. I eliminated the need for one of the bookshelves and rearranged the furniture. With any luck, that room will be ready for a baby when one comes along.

It has developed into summer all of a sudden, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I am not a fan of 90+ degrees of heat, but Olivia adores being outside, so I guess I'm just going to have to get used to it. I have promised her a trip to Local Theme Park after nap, and you can bet that our entire visit will be spent in the water park.

So let's talk hair. Olivia's is getting long, although you wouldn't know it because of the curls. I know that it needs special care and lotions and products and such, and we've been doing a good job with this so far. But with summer approaching, we've been spending a lot of time outside. Whether we are at the waterpark or just playing in the back yard, there seems to be no way to avoid getting her hair dirty enough to warrant washing it almost every day.

The problem is that her hair type doesn't respond well to daily washing. It gets so tangled and matted on the ends, and we have to deal with a lot of tears on a daily basis as we work out the tangles and reapply the hair products. She has also decided that she hates having her hair washed. So, yeah, it's not fun.

Anyone out there have any recommendations?

In an effort to do something different with her hair, we put it in a single ponytail on top of her head for Church this past Sunday. It was cute, and she forgot it was up there (which is the key to having the ponytail survive longer than a few minutes). I'm looking for new and creative ways to do her hair, but easy too...she hates having her hair done. I hope that changes soon, because wrestling her to do her hair (when it NEEDS to be fixed daily) is not so fun.



I really think her hair is going to turn out to be fabulous. She has a four-year-old second cousin with similar hair (and similar ethnicity) whose hair is BEAUTIFUL. Long and dark with beautiful ringlets that hang past her shoulders...she can do so many cute things with it. But for now, we have to deal with the short-ish tight curls and hope that I don't cause it all to break off before it has a chance to grow.

No comments: