Thursday, June 4, 2009

Toddlers shouldn't have their days and nights mixed up.

Last night was bad. I'm afraid that the events of last night have made me a bad Mommy this morning...grumpy and unwilling to compromise with the child. Because last night, just as we were getting in bed, Olivia woke up and came to our room. I went back to lay down with her and did not return to my own bed for four hours. That's right. FOUR. HOURS.

I know you are already bored out of your minds to read another post on sleep issues. She's been sleeping so well all week, but not last night. Let's just say that she did everything she possibly could to keep herself awake. She sang and bounced and cried and kept mumbling something about bees. I negotiated and threatened and cajoled until I was exhausted, at which point I collapsed and sobbed myself to sleep, waking up about ten minutes later to find that Olivia had finally, mercifully drifted off to dreamland.

I am exhausted. The truth is that I have no idea what the best technique is for getting Olivia to sleep. We have tried so many things, but the default position and the one that works most often is rocking. I hope I'm not still required to rock her to sleep when the next baby comes. I guess we'll just have to cross that bridge when we get there.

I'm off to nap. See you when I am better rested and more coherent.

1 comment:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Blech. I hope she doesn't repeat that. Maybe it is a sleep regression and it will be over soon?