Friday, May 28, 2010

Highlights of the week

The kids were in rare form this week...just getting on each other's last nerve at every turn. OK, maybe that's not all that rare. But my patience had run out, and let's just say that I was ecstatic to see Wednesday come and go as our last day of babysitting for the school year.

On one of these particularly harrowing early days of the week, Olivia was being a complete nightmare and got put in "ultra time-out", which in our house means being confined to her booster chair (strapped in and tray on so she couldn't get out) and facing the corner. She is SOOO dramatic in time-out, wailing and flailing like it's the end of the world. I ignored her because I'd had just about enough that morning. But then I heard something unusual and came in to watch her. She was staring at the Holy Family icon on the wall in front of her and saying "Jesus, Mary, please help me! I don't wanna be in time-out. Help me behave, Jesus!" Tears streaming down her face. This was not a show she was putting on for my benefit. She had no idea I was watching her. This was really her talking to Jesus, her friend, represented by the icon on the wall. At such a tender age, she already seems to understand the point of prayer. My heart melted.

The first couple of days of "vacation" have been exhausting and relaxing. Olivia and I have been on the go, with errands and play and all sorts of activity. But without the other kids here, it seems to be less stressful.

Today we went over to the waterpark for the morning. Olivia insisted on walking from the parking lot, and as I watched her marching ahead of me with determination, it occurred to me that this sweet little child, so recently just a baby in my arms, is taking giant leaps toward independence from me. That is the goal, of course...to raise kids to become more and more self-reliant and capable of making their own way in the world. But to watch my two-and-a-half-year-old wander among strangers and head with confidence and determination toward the gates of the park without any thought about whether Mommy was right behind her...well, it made me a little sad...

And then she got tired and insisted on riding in the stroller. I guess she still needs me after all!

We're headed into a busy Memorial Day weekend, and then we'll be leaving Olivia with Grandma and Grandpa for a week while we go to Omaha for surgery, etc. What a busy way to start summer...

No comments: