Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Oh so relieved...

After a huge exercise in patience today, I broke down and contacted the birthmom. She had been asking the counselor and lawyer to speak to us anyway, and after getting the go ahead yesterday from our lawyer, I thought it would be OK. He still hasn't contacted me, but I figured he had to have had time to call her before now.

It was so good to talk to her. I am SO relieved, and I could tell that she was too. She had heard from the counselor and the lawyer that we were still on board with the plan, but she wanted to hear it from us. We talked for about 15 minutes, and now that she feels comfortable with the fact that we are solid on the plan, she is going to set an appointment to see a doctor in her new city. She said she'd call the counselor when she had a solid due date.

I just feel so much better after talking to her. I can tell that she really desires to have everything go as planned, and she really wants us to parent her baby, but she just had so many anxieties because she wasn't sure how the distance affected our decision.

She really amazes me. I could tell from the start that even though she couldn't parent this baby, she is very concerned that she could choose someone who could and make provisions for the care of her child. At one point in our initial interview, she said "Now, do I need to put together some clothes and toys to give to y'all, or do you take care of that?". Of course, she has never asked us for anything except to love and care for her baby, and we assured her that we would take care of everything that the baby needs...all she had to worry about was taking care of herself and having that baby.

I promised to call closer to the due date (after we find out what that will be). I am just so excited.

No comments: