Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Missing Daddy

This week, my husband is involved in his biggest work event of the year, which involves three consecutive days where he leaves before we wake up and comes home after we've gone to bed. Next week, he'll leave on Wednesday for some work business and to attend a friend's wedding in a town 12 hours away, and he won't be home until Sunday. In between, we have several days of "normal" when he should be home at normal times, but I'm already feeling the effect of the Daddy absence.

As always happens when Daddy's not around, Olivia has been more irritable these past couple of days. She's less willing to nap and much harder to get to bed at night. It's exhausting.

It was especially exhausting tonight because she was OVERLY tired at bedtime and fighting it AND there was thunder to complicate the whole situation. I used to enjoy thunderstorms. Now they terrify me. I wake up in the middle of the night to the smallest rumble of thunder, and I have a hard time sleeping until I'm sure it hasn't bothered Olivia at all. She often doesn't even notice it, but there were a couple of times when she ran screaming from her room in a fit of terror, and the thought of that just rips my heart out.

Unfortunately, we've had a rather thunder-heavy summer, so thunder-related sleep deprivation is a rather common occurrence.

The combination of nap stubbornness and necessary errands have kept me away from my computer for the last two days. I'm sure next week will be rough too as we start adjusting to the babysitting schedule and having TWO toddlers in the house. Or maybe they'll wear each other out and leave me with a couple of hours to myself in the middle of the day. We'll see.

I don't have the brain power for any more coherent thoughts tonight.

No comments: